**Advising Scheduling is offline until late August 2017. We are upgrading to GMU’s new Advising platform, SSC Campus. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any Fall scheduling issues as well as any emergencies or concerns. You will be answered within 24-48 hours. We appreciate your patience, and we’ll see you in the Fall semester!
- You will only be able to schedule an appointment during an available slot. Availability will be updated on the advising calendar only after the advisors post their available slots.
- All advising appointments are scheduled online. If for some reason you encounter problems with our online scheduling system, please come to: Exploratory Hall, Rm 1200 between 9:00-5:00pm, Monday – Friday.
- If you have questions, read our Advising FAQ, a comprehensive guide written by a Biology advisor and likely to be the fastest way to answer your question.
The GMU Academic Advising Center website is very helpful as a starting point.
Also visit the GMU Health Professions Advising website if you are interested in health professions.
Online advising is now available on a limited basis through Blackboard. You MUST be a declared biology major to access this feature. If you are a declared major as of Fall 2016 you should have access to advising via your organization tab on blackboard. If you are a declared major but do not see this feature you must first see an adviser in person.
In addition to online advising this site has links for job, research, internships and much more. Please take some time to look under the content link!
Making an appointment:
You may make an appointment the same way as an in-person appointment. Go to: https://biology.gmu.edu/advising, choose an online advising appointment with an advisor that offers it. These appointments will be via live chat. You may change or cancel these appointments up to 24 hours prior to the appointment. **An advisor will only wait ten minutes for you to enter the online chat and then they will log off. Please be on time.
How to find the live chat appointment:
- Login to blackboard
- Look to the top right, and select the “Organizations” link
- Look under My Organizations (center of the page) and select Biology Undergraduate Advising
- If you do not see this link you must first make an in person advising appointment (please cancel the online advising appointment until then)
- To the left of the page, choose “Tools”
- Scroll down and then select “Blackboard Collaborate Ultra”
- Look for the link with your advisors name on it.
- Once linked to collaborate, click on the purple tab with arrows on it on the bottom right.
- This will link you into a live chat. At the time of your appointment your advisor will move you to a breakout room. This is a private chat room. Please be patient, your advisor may be finishing a chat with another student.