Spotlight: Pre-Med student receives prestigious Barry Goldwater scholarship; best student poster presentation award at 2019 VAS Annual Meeting
Posted: May 29, 2019 at 11:50 pm, Last Updated: May 31, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Congratulations are in order!
In April 2019, Brieann Sobieski, a rising senior Biology major, was named one of three recipients of the prestigious Barry Goldwater Scholarship from George Mason University. Awarded since 1989, the scholarship, presented by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation, is the preeminent undergraduate award for students who plan to pursue careers in the fields of mathematics, the natural sciences and engineering.
Brieann’s hometown is Fairfax, Virginia. During her junior year at Mason, she was a Learning Assistant for the Department of Biology, and also conducted lab research in conjunction with INOVA. She is currently on the Pre-Med track and has been an outstanding student while at GMU. This summer, Brieann will be working in trauma surgery at INOVA Fairfax Hospital while studying for the MCAT.
At the 2019 annual meeting of the Virginia Academy of Sciences (May 22-24, 2019) at Old Dominion University, Brieann’s poster presentation “Advancement of the in-vitro idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis disease model through isolation of senescent and active fibroblast phenotypes” won first place in the medical sciences section.
Read the Mason News article featuring all three Mason Goldwater Scholars, published on 5/23/2019: https://www2.gmu.edu/news/577256
- 2020 Smithsonian Mason School of Conservation (SMSC) Slideshow January 29, 2020
- Event: Research Semester Poster Presentations November 11, 2019
- Spotlight: Pre-Med student receives prestigious Barry Goldwater scholarship; best student poster presentation award at 2019 VAS Annual Meeting May 29, 2019
- 2019 Awards Ceremony May 22, 2019
- ESP Graduate Students Are Awarded Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Fellowships April 26, 2019
- College of Science Scholarship Opportunities – Apply Now March 6, 2019