2017 Teaching Excellence Award: Dr. Kocache
Posted: April 17, 2017 at 4:43 pm, Last Updated: April 24, 2017 at 4:05 pm
On April 17th, 2017, the Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence held their annual award ceremony. During the event, Dr. Malda Kocache was honored with the 2017 Teaching Excellence award. This is the first award of its kind awarded to a Biology Department faculty member since the Awards started in 1995.
The Teaching Excellence Awards are given to a group of faculty members annually as both an institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgement of the significant work that they devote to course planning and preparation; curriculum development; and innovative teaching, advising, and undergraduate and graduate mentoring. This award is open to all faculty members with at least 3 years of teaching experience at George Mason, but only a few are selected. In addition, Mason offers the Teaching Excellence Award for special recognition in General Education and in Technology-Enhanced Teaching. Nominations from students, faculty members, and administrators were welcome.
Dr. Kocache has been teaching at GMU since 1997. Some of the courses she teaches are Introduction to Microbiology for nursing and health sciences, and HIV/AIDS synthesis classes. She is also the Coordinator for the Biology honors program. Prior to GMU, Dr. Kocache was an assistant professor at the Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine in Miami, FL, and a post-doctoral fellow and lecturer at the School of Medicine at Georgetown University. Her research and teaching interests are medical microbiology, infectious diseases, virology and HIV/AIDS.
Congratulations to Dr. Kocache on her well-earned achievement!
- 2020 Smithsonian Mason School of Conservation (SMSC) Slideshow January 29, 2020
- Event: Research Semester Poster Presentations November 11, 2019
- Spotlight: Pre-Med student receives prestigious Barry Goldwater scholarship; best student poster presentation award at 2019 VAS Annual Meeting May 29, 2019
- 2019 Awards Ceremony May 22, 2019
- ESP Graduate Students Are Awarded Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Fellowships April 26, 2019
- College of Science Scholarship Opportunities – Apply Now March 6, 2019